Thursday, May 21, 2009

Athletics Carnival

By time I took a break from ranting or anti-ranting and write critiques of my day.

The Athletics Carnival was surprisingly interesting compared to last year, or the years before for that matter.

As usual, I took the train to Olympic Park cos it's the laziest and driest way there. I would never consider walking from Concord West in that drizzly weather, not to mention that I had multiple textbooks in my bag. Yes, for the first time, I studied at the Athletics Carnival.

"Nerd!"

Hey hey there, I had no choice! Blame it on the DET for creating the HSC workload! Yes, little year sevens, juniors, this is why seniors like us deserve some respect, so bring the senior canteen line back!! Unfair bastards...

Anyways the miracle is that I got something done. At the same time it's the opposite of a miracle that I did none of my Independent Investigation speech for English Extension. But I did manage to do a summary page of my two unit maths so at least I'm not as freaked out about the Maths Half Yearly now as I was beforehand. I'm not saying I'm not. Just a little less. A little. I don't know how much that is.

Speaking of our school canteen, I thought it sucked last year. Heh I was wrong when I compare it to now. There are now three lines. There's the year 7 and 8 line. The 9 and 10 line. And then there's the 11+12 line which ranges from 80-100% fail. The people "employed" in the senior line fail in knowing what they're doing, not to mention that they are slow, inefficient, sometimes give the wrong change, and are late 100% of the time.

Price - 3/10. Relatively expensive for school food.
Service - 6-7/10 for the adults serving at junior lines, 1-3/10 for the juniors serving at the senior line.
Food - 3-9/10 although nowdays the menu is getting kinda boring with only pies (40c for sauce??), beef or chicken or spinach and ricotta burgers, pasta (where's the cheese nowdays??), cheese and tomato melts, lasagne, chicken wings (rip off), uber-dodgy fried rice, fantastic noodles (which can only be sold after 2nd half due to OHS issues wtf). Nowdays people aren't even allowed to heat their lunch there anymore. Sacrificing so much for profit. What's wrong with the previous canteen?? It was good beforehand, and I had waited so many years for the senior line privilege until it got taken away this year. -_-

I miss the old days when things were fun and interesting. Not just high school. Primary school too. Deno sucks now. No one from new Deno knows me and I don't know the new Deno. Standing in the new asphalted open area, I suffer nostalgia for the days where the flying foxes weren't chained (OHS issues again), canteen food was half the price of today, the grass looked more natural, when the end of year concert was called "talent quest" instead of "talent fest" (eww), and everyone had fun watching class performances at assemblies rather than teachers talking about boring stuff. The layout of the school was more old-style, gritty and natural rather than the new one which gave a sense of bareness and artificiality. I miss being able to climb up the wooden ladder into the slightly-dusty sunshine-filled loft in the old 3W classroom and read cosily there with the permission of one of the nicest teachers I have ever had.

When I graduated from Deno I was rather indifferent to having to leave Deno forever, even excited at the prospect of going to a good high school, because I thought Hornsby's gotta be better than Deno. I don't know why I said that. Maybe I didn't have many friends back then? Not sure. I can't say which one's better now. They're in completely different fields. Now I look back at my memories and miss them like a child misses her faded-red blanket and worn-out teddy bear. If I had a chance to go back and meet me, I would give her a very big hug, tell her to love every moment of her primary school life and start crying cos I would be too emotional to say goodbye.

Oh dear I'm actually crying now.

Woops, where was I again? >.< Anyways I ate fish and chips for lunch ($7, what a ripoff but I didn't really care cos I had 50 bucks and I was hungry), some of my packed lunch, and drank two $2.20 hot chocolates from the Nescafe vending machine at the venue (darn, they had no tea!!). It was fascinating to see a hot drink come out of a vending machine for some reason. Now I want a machine like that at home too.

So yeah, that was my day. Attempting to nerd around while a majority of students around me were being noisy bitches, screaming, or repeatedly playing the same bloody song on their phone on max volume expecting everyone to enjoy it.

Woop woop 11:43pm. Gonna be sleep-deprived again...

No comments: