Thursday, April 1, 2010

Some exams back

I'm in a shit mood again. Wtf's wrong with me.

Before you say "dw you'll do better next time" or "oh well bad luck"...

I must be having some serious problems. E.g. I wrote "1/2" instead of "pi/2" even though I knew it was "pi/2".

My number of silly mistakes is just phenomenal. And the ironic thing is? THEY WEREN'T EVEN HARD QUESTIONS.

-.-

Has anyone got advice?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only real advice would be to practise and give yourself time to look back afterwards (I did that during the 2U exam and wow, I saved myself 5 marks approx.)


But I had shit stupid mistakes too.
I mean, I lost 1 mark out of a whole question because I forgot a -

And that happened twice. D:


But yeah, practice, looking back, writing notes on your mistakes, are really the only things you can do.

Jess said...

I don't know how you can have spare time after a 3 unit exam though. :\

Anonymous said...

If someone (and there are some I know) can finish a 4U paper and have SOME time to look back, it shouldn't be hard to do the same for 3U.


Seriously, it's just practice.

I wouldn't have had enough to look back if it weren't for the fact I practised. If there are questions that are hard, just keep doing similar ones, then you get the jist of it. It helps because then it'll loosely relate to what you've been asked.

Jess said...

Yeah I finished the 4u half yearly with some time left (not counting the ones I didn't know how to do).

Tbh I did harder questions than the ones found in the 3u test.

Anonymous said...

Know what you have already made mistakes on - if you wrote 1/2 instead of pi/2, then next time you will always look for that, etc.

Jess, you want spare time for a 3U exam? Rush the first half of the paper =P

Jess said...

"Rush the first half of the paper =P"

But I did that throughout. D: lol.

Laughable but true piece of info: About 90% of my 2/3U maths work for this term was done in the week before the exam. (3/4 of a 126 page book)

Anonymous said...

I think then you shouldn't leave that 90% to the last minute then. I usually end up with doing the last 5% of my work before exams.

But, I can't really say anything about catching up on maths can't I? because I'm not a 3U-er or 4U-er - but at least you don't have a major work, or languages (continuers AND extension) or 3U english to eat up your time.

Of course, if you rush the first half, that means you'll have to tell yourself to REALLY check that part. Try to answer the questions again in your head.

No point rushing and finishing with time to spare and yet, have so many mistakes. xP

Priscilla Huang said...

i have a different perspective.

i believe you shouldn't rush at all.
Rushing only increases the chances of making silly mistakes and if you say you get time at the end to check, but honestly, i think that it is quite easy to miss something when you are checking, because you are just reading it.

Personally, what i do is i work at a slow pace, checking if i have answered the question at the end of each question because i think slow and steady is good.=) The advantage of quickly skimming through your answer after each question, is that the question is still fresh in your head, and saves you time from reading it again if you were to check the entire paper at the end.

We all make silly mistakes, i think ways to minimise it is to be calm and not feel stressed , work slowly and do more practice. However i know that for 4unit, no matter how much practice we do before hand, it doesn't really help because it just depends on how we perform on the day...

Jess said...

Correction to my earlier post: 192 pages, not 126 xD

@Amy: The thing is, I forget things VERY easily. Even if I do a shitload of work way before the exams, I forget them. Either way, I have to cram before exams.

@Chip: "We all make silly mistakes, i think ways to minimise it is to be calm and not feel stressed , work slowly and do more practice."

Practice as in homework questions, or past papers?

"However i know that for 4unit, no matter how much practice we do before hand, it doesn't really help because it just depends on how we perform on the day..."

Why do you say that?

Priscilla Huang said...

i think homework questions and past papers help.

for 4unit, i say that because some of the really hard questions we get in exams require skills from other topics in maths, whereas the questions we do in the 4unit textbooks usually focus on that one topic and plus, 4unit for the hsc isn't based on learning and doing practise to answer similar questions, unlike 2 unit and 3 unit. i see 4unit as more of, each question is different, you dont always apply the same approach sorta thing (by this im referring to hsc papers and school exams). i cant explain it too well but i think 4unit is not the type of subject where u repeatedly do questions and do more practice and be able to do every single question in the paper. i dunno, you sorta get that guarantee for 2unit but definitely not 4unit.

i dunno, that's just my opinion, you can disagree.

Bunbun-sama said...

Chip; you are right..one of the hard questions in the 4U HY could be solved if you knew circle properties well (well, I figured out how to do it 10 hours after the exam, very helpful DX) and that was year 11 3U.

It's wrong to assume that 4U doesn't eat up time. If you want to get beyond the "easy" questions (first half of the paper in the HSC), you are gonna have to spend ages working out hard questions to get used to them. And there's enough questions among the 3 textbooks to last you a lifetime, I swear...arguably you can still do okay just knowing the basics, but the basics alone take forever to understand, let alone the hard questions....and I still don't really understand conics, btw =S

Even so, you might be unlucky and not be able to work it out on the day.

As for rushing the paper... sometimes, when you go over a question again, you might reinterpret the question, or realise your original solution was wrong. =) If you guys still think it just means leaving heaps of mistakes well...you should have more confidence in yourself. You can do it during class, so why not exams?

That's what I think, but that doesn't always work so...all these strategies are worth trying.

Lol don't worry Jess, I never even finished maths homework before the exams...

Priscilla Huang said...

true chip, but the problem with me, especially in multiple choice questions, is that i change the correct answer, and i overthink it... i dunno..

and 4UNIT is a KILLER! gosh, i think it takes up more time than extension english...because for extension english, at least i can do all the practice tasks before the exams, whereas for 4unit, i neever have enough time to finish the set exercises that the teacher gives us =(

and we are expected to do 3 textbooks?! dude, i cant even do one...

so i just give up on them and do tutor homework...and rely on tubby =)