Sunday, January 1, 2012

MMORPGs

I really dislike grinding, I've done it too much in the past, and I've been sick of it. I guess that's why I've been lacking motivation in MMORPG. And they almost have to have cash shop if they're "free" games. then the cash shop items cost a lot of in-game money. Then you got to grind for them. I don't think I can do that anymore.

If I must grind, I prefer a variation of puzzles. At least there's some variety and logic involved. At least in the end of the quest, 'grind' or w/e, I would feel proud that I had finished some puzzles, rather than be relieved from boredom. The social aspect of MMORPG could make you feel bad for leaving.. single-player games bring less guilt.

In some ways, I feel like I've grown out of it. I've put so much effort into Runescape and (formerly) RoM and I've ended up quitting both of them and not caring for them. So in a sense I've felt like these hours could have been put into something that is actually more productive like I used to be; reading articles and watching documentaries to add to my knowledge. If I play a creating game, at least I can create and design things. if I play a story-oriented game, I can see the beauty of other people's ideas as well as experience it.

But if it weren't for RoM I wouldn't have met my bf. I guess that's the plus-side.. I also learnt that being a leader sucks.. I also learnt that one should play games for fun not because you feel you have the 'duty' to continue.. At the same time, why do I play Loong? Because my bf is. ._.

In MMORPGs, someone's got to lose... the players lose (of course, when it's fun to the player, it's fair, but if it's not fun and becomes a 'duty' then yeah..). So far there has been no such MMORPG which has zero amount of grinding. If there will be in the future an MMORPG that DOES satisfy this condition AND is free, I will be very interested. But for now..

I am over MMORPGs.

No comments: