A few years ago I thought CityRail would be much better than it is now. Although there are some good things on the Northern Line like the renovated Epping, Eastwood, Hornsby Station and OSCAR (Outer Suburban CARs) trains, there is also a lot of crap that's almost incomprehensible, quite sad really.
In the past I thought the new stations ie. Macquarie University, Macquarie Park and North Ryde would improve travel for everyone. But I think I've changed my mind now. The proposed Northern Line timetable for 2009 sucks. It goes from Hornsby to Epping as normal. However instead of continuing south to Eastwood and the other regular Northern Line Stations, it travels east to Chatswood via the new stations and then goes south to Central. So, that means that in order to get to stations north of Epping, commuters south of Epping have no choice but to change trains at Epping. And half the services from Epping to Central via Strathfield will be cut. Wtf? It may be quite convenient for people at Epping and the new stations but what about the rest? I bet you a hundred bucks the guys who planned this don't live in Eastwood, Denistone or West Ryde. It's unfair. I suggest that the Epping-Chatswood Line be kept separate from the Northern Line.
Oh then they unintentionally made the underground railway line too steep and noisy so they wouldn't be able to run any other types of trains besides OSCARs. What were these CityRail people doing?
I thought that the Parramatta-Epping Line would go ahead, until NSW Transport Minister Michael Costa "postponed indefinitely" aka dumped the plan in August 2003 cos it was too expensive. So I guess the Carlingford Line would remain deserted for some time. Yay.
Random fact: L, R and S set trains (eg the 3:17 train from Hornsby to Central via Strathfield) could be as old as 36 years. However they could be replaced by A set trains (a forthcoming type of train based on the Millennium ones) in 2012. Hopefully it would happen.
And hopefully they would do something about the crap atm, but then, I doubt it will happen under the already stuffed NSW State Government. So yeah. One of the worst train systems in one of the "most beautiful cities in the world".

No comments:
Post a Comment